Me Me Me Me

Monday 9 February 2015

MAC Matte Lipstick 'Kinda Sexy' review and first impressions

Hi all, I'd like to introduce you to my first MAC lipstick but certainly not the last as I have another one on the way as we speak.

Everyone knows that MAC cosmetics do not come cheap and at £15.50 for 3g you definitely expect a lot for the price. Luckily, I had some gift vouchers leftover from Christmas and my birthday so I consider it to be a guilt-free purchase.


What MAC says:
MAC describes 'Kinda Sexy' as a neutral pinky-rose with a matte finish.

Image courtesy of MAC
First impressions:
I would say my first impressions of this lipstick were extremely satisfactory. The packaging was wonderful. It comes in a suave, black matte box and the tube itself without any signs of imperfections. The tight-fitting cap, compact size and overall sturdiness means this little tube is perfect to take on your travels. Another thing I noticed straight away was the lipstick has a sweet, vanilla scent and doesn't smell waxy or unpleasantly overbearing. I was concerned about whether this particular shade would end up being too light for my skin tone, despite double-checking the colour in store, thus washing me out and making me look even more ghostly than normal.


My experience: 
Much to my delight though the shade was absolutely gorgeous. There were a few things I did notice when applying. Firstly, as this is a matte shade it does tend to highlight any dry spots, cracks and/or crevices on your lips so it is extremely important to keep your lips exfoliated and well hydrated if you plan to use this. In fact, if you plan on wearing any lipstick make sure you prep your lips accordingly for best results.


Secondly, as my lips have a reddish-brown tinge I found that using a lipliner helped to even out the pigmentation in my lips and this provided an even base for the lipstick to just glide on smoothly and evenly. I would say using a lipliner isn't a necessity if your lips are fairly light as the colour is so excellently vibrant and strong, a single light swipe is enough to create an opaque coat. The texture is very creamy and soft it honestly felt as though I was applying a moisturising lip balm. I was also pleasantly impressed with how long 'Kinda Sexy' stayed put on my lips, even after four and a half hours, which included eating awkward foods.


Pros:

  • Gorgeous vanilla fragrance
  • Soft, creamy texture
  • Excellent pigmentation and obtains an opaque coat in just one light swipe
  • Smooth, non-drying matte finish 
  • Beautiful pinky-nude shade that would compliment most everyday looks, as well as a glamorous smokey eye look
  • Travel friendly packaging with tight-fitting click cap 
  • Amazing staying power 

Cons:

  • Can highlight flaws if lips are not primed and ready for an unforgiving matte finish
  • At £15.50 a pop it isn't exactly cheap 

Bottom line - Should you buy it?

I would rate MAC's 'Kinda Sexy' a solid 4.7/5. I mentioned a few cons but apart from price you can generally avoid some of the issues you may encounter. The colour is very versatile and can be dressed up or dressed down. It is compatible with most skin tones, despite my worries before purchasing and it doesn't wash me out or make me look older - win-win situation. 
Therefore, I would definitely recommend purchasing it. However, a word of caution though, do check it out in store beforehand to be sure it suits your skin tone and have a playground with different lighting if possible to help decide if it works for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment